Only Level II trauma center in Arlington offers advanced care
Medical City Arlington has been designated a Level II Trauma Center by the Texas Department of State Health Services, making it the first and only hospital in Arlington to achieve this distinguished classification. A Level II trauma designation represents the second-highest level of trauma designation available and reflects Medical City Arlington’s dedication to providing optimal care for severely injured patients.
“Achieving this advanced trauma designation reinforces our commitment to excellence in trauma and emergency services for Arlington and the surrounding region,” Medical City Arlington CEO Keith Zimmerman said. “We have been functioning at this higher level for more than a year and are pleased to receive official recognition of the care we provide and the investment we have made in our community.”
The Level II trauma designation is awarded by the Texas Department of State Health Services and involves an extensive survey process, including verification by the American College of Surgeons. The voluntary process requires a commitment to providing comprehensive regional care for every aspect of injury from prevention through rehabilitation, including:
- 24-hour immediate coverage by general surgeons, as well as specialty coverage in orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, radiology and critical care
- Continuing education, injury and trauma prevention programs for staff and the community
- A comprehensive quality assessment program
Medical City Arlington treats about 2,000 trauma patients annually with more than 96,000 emergency room visits each year. The hospital’s dedicated injury prevention team has implemented an extensive community education and outreach program, collaborating with more than 20 local organizations. Over the last year, the hospital provided Stop the Bleed training and bicycle helmets to children in the community and led fall prevention classes for area citizens.
As a Level II Trauma Center, Medical City Arlington also provides:
- Dedicated trauma resuscitation rooms in the 56-bed emergency department
- Dedicated trauma operating rooms available 24/7
- Dedicated 24-bed neuro-trauma ICU
- Continuous availability of neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, interventional radiology, laboratory services, radiology and blood bank
- On-campus inpatient rehabilitation unit
Medical City Healthcare has a long history of investing in the North Texas community to effect positive change, including a major capital investment initiative of more than $1.7 billion spent or committed over five years. Together, the Medical City Healthcare network of hospitals, surgery centers, off-campus emergency rooms and CareNow urgent care locations are unified in elevating the standard of care for all patients.